Tip of the day - Need company name? Try crowdsourcing
"At Squarespace, we noticed that the things that make a big difference can seem very small," Atkinson said. "For instance, changing the color of a button on our site increased sales. We also found that you can double conversions just by moving some key phrases from the left side to the right."
Based on data SumAll collected, here are 10 tips for turning traffic into sales:
1. "My" works better than "your." "'Start my free trial now' will get more clicks than 'Start your free trial now'," Atkinson says. "The word 'my' suggests to people that it's already theirs, so why not claim it?"
2. If your service is free, emphasize that. Adding "100% free" or "Get started for free" will always help boost conversion. When SumAll added "100% free" to its site's headline, sales jumped by 18%.
3. Reassure potential customers that privacy is respected. When asking for an email address, "make sure to clearly state that it's for your eyes only -- for example, 'We won't ever sell your information. We hate spam too'," Atkinson says.
4. Use active phrases on buttons. "Don't ever label buttons with the word 'Submit'. It isn't descriptive enough," said Atkinson. "Instead, make sure the button says something like 'Get instant access'."
5. Colors matter, and orange buttons encourage people to buy. The reason behind it is a bit of a mystery, but Atkinson thinks it's partly because "sites like Amazon and eBay have so popularized orange buttons that they've become what people expect."
6. Placement matters. On your homepage, make sure images and videos are on the left, while the call to action is on the right. "Western audiences tend to read from left to right, so this simple tweak is surprisingly effective," Atkinson said. At SumAll, this one change boosted conversion by 5%.
7. Personalize recommendations. Use product badges to indicate when something is "new" or a "staff pick" or "just for you." Small as it seems, it goes a long way toward encouraging browsers to buy.
8. Be consistent. Make sure the copy and design of your advertising matches the copy and design of your site, Atkinson advised. "Breaking this continuity, which is a kind of 'scent trail' between ads and online pages, can seriously hurt conversion."
9. Be cautious about using videos. "Those fancy videos startups love can cut both ways," Atkinson observed. SumAll has seen videos discourage conversion as often as they improve it, especially if they're too long. After about 90 seconds, potential customers tend to get bored and wander off.
10. Constantly test what works and what doesn't. Even basics like your company's slogan should be reevaluated. When SumAll changed the tag line on its site from "The world's best tracking tool" to the friendlier "All your social media in one place," conversions shot up by 60%.
[Via - CNNMoney]
What Is Social HR? What Is Social Intranet?
Social Collaboration Tips To Save You From Failure
Five Small Business Tools Leveraging The Power Of Social
Free Remote Employee Management Tools
Free Online Lead Management Tools
Company is a mechanism - even if separate parts work well, it doesn’t guarantee the organization as a whole functions efficiently. Today we ...
Are you looking for free online Gantt chart software? Something that's available online, on premise with open source access, on your mob...
Endeleza is a nonprofit organization that provides affordable and quality education and encourages community empowerment and sustainable de...
Long-awaited lead capture forms for your Bitrix24 CRM are finally there. Everyone knows what a web form is, but sometimes working with forms...
When world economies shiver and shake, gold flourishes. Gold bullion coins, which promote within the millions weekly, faucet into the a...
Money is frequently the biggest issue for startups. You have to spend money to make money, but there isn’t much to begin with. Don’t despair...
PickyDomains - Risk free domain naming service Your team works well together, solves problems, and comes up with innovative, unique ideas. E...
If you've carried out any studies into telephone structures, you are well conscious that there are a huge kind of commercial enterprise ...
Christine K. Clifford , CSP is the author of nine books including Let’s Close a Deal! Turn Contacts Into Paying Customers for Your Company,...
Washington (WA) Asbestos Information: Located within the mountainous Pacific Northwest, Washington u . S . A . Has its sincere share of ser...